Education, prevention and support for the most serious form of skin cancer.
Tanning and Melanoma Facts
- Melanoma rates are increasing faster than nearly all other cancers.
- Melanoma is a relatively easy disease to prevent.
- Most melanomas are easy to stop if caught soon enough — all it takes is a yearly skin exam.
- Melanoma kills one person every hour.
- Melanoma is the most common cancer among women aged 25-32
- As many as 10,000 people a year die from melanoma.
- The New England states have a higher than average rate of melanoma
- The increased risk of melanoma associated with early tanning bed use is 59% for people whose first exposure to artificial UV rays in a tanning bed occurred before age 35 years and that risk increased with the number of tanning bed sessions per year.
- It is not safe to tan in the sun or in a tanning booth.
- The more you tan and the younger you start tanning, the more likely it is that you will get melanoma.
- Using a tanning bed for 20 minutes is equivalent to spending one to three hours a day at the beach with no sun protection at all.
- Tanning beds put out three to six times the amount of radiation given off by the sun.
- For most people, 5-10 minutes of unprotected sun 2-3 times a week is enough to help your skin make Vitamin D, which is essential for your health. Getting more sun won’t increase your Vitamin D level, but it will increase your risk of skin cancer. Vitamin D also comes from orange juice, milk, fish, and supplements.
- Sat April 4, 2015: Leprechaun Leap 5K
- Mon April 13, 2015: Skinny On Skin Training - New Haven, CT
- Mon April 20, 2015: Team Running for Cover runs the Boston Marathon
- Wed May 20, 2015: Martinis for Melanoma - Providence
- Sat May 23, 2015: Melanoma Awareness Day - Warwick Mall
- Wed May 27, 2015: Melanoma Spring Symposium
- Thu June 18, 2015: Camp Micah Sun Safety Training
- Mon July 20, 2015: 15th Annual Golf Tournament & Auction
- Wed September 9, 2015: Martinis for Melanoma Springfield
- Mon September 21, 2015: Skinny On Skin Training - Burlington, VT
view full calendar +