The X Factor
Do you like to sing, play an instrument, are in a band or love to dance? Perhaps you’ve always wanted to organize a flash mob. We want to hear your song about the dangers of tanning and associated risks of skin cancer and melanoma. Your song should be aimed at teens and young adults. It can be a video of your song or just the sound.
- Your song must reflect your own research, writing and original thinking
- It should be at least 30 seconds and no longer than 2 minutes
- Include at least 3 facts from the facts of tanning located here.
- Our permission form must be downloaded here, printed, filled out and signed by anyone shown in the video and signed by their parent or guardian. Completed permission forms must be faxed (978-371-0109) or mailed to the Foundation at the time of submission.
To Enter the Contest
First, click here to register. When you are ready to submit your entry proceed below.
Send your submission to:
Your Skin Is In Student Contest
Melanoma Foundation of New England
111 Old Road to Nine Acre Corner
Concord, MA 01742
Or email your song or video to Amy Mason at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entries must be postmarked on or before the contest due date of April 12, 2013. Entries will not be returned; they become property of the Melanoma Foundation of New England (MFNE). MFNE may use the video or song for promotional and educational use. Appropriate citations will be given to the submitter.
Melanoma Foundation of New England staff and selected volunteers will judge the letter/article using the following criteria:
- Accuracy of facts and statements
- Convincing, compelling, persuasiveness
- Passion for the cause
For questions contact Amy Mason at email@example.com or 800-557-6352.
Melanoma kills one person every 50 minutes. It's the second most common cancer for 15-29 year olds.People who use tanning beds before the age of 35 increase their melanoma risk by 59%.Tanning beds put out 3-6 times the amount of radiation given off by the sun.Getting more sun won't increase your Vitamin D level, but it will increase your risk of skin cancer.The World Health Organization has determined that UV rays from tanning beds cause cancer.